brief history ...
The Rocks area was the home of the Aboriginal Cadigan people. Unfortunately the Aborigines did not use writing and not much known about the history of the place prior to the white settlement.
On 26 January 1788, The First Fleet
arrived from England under the command of Captain Arthur Phillip and dropped anchor close to the present day site of The Rocks.
Captain Phillip christened Sydney Cove, after Thomas Townshend, Baron Sydney (1733-1800), the English minister responsible for the colony. Later, the name dropped 'Cove' and the area became known simply as Sydney.
Today The Rocks area still preserves the architecture of old Sydney Town in spite of new additions, restaurants, hotels and other tourist facilities.
tourist information ...
How to get there
By train, bus or ferry to Circular Quay and go towards the Harbor Bridge.
What to see
Visit Cadman's Cottage
's oldest house, the Garrison Church - still used by the Australian Army today, the Victorian Sydney Observatory
, Museum of Contemporary Art
, antique shops, pubs, restaurants or... just wander around.